Commercial Cannabis Business Permit (CCBP) Applicants
Currently, there are no retail cannabis permits available to be issued and the City is not accepting applications for other cannabis uses at this time.
After building permits have been secured, all commercial cannabis applicants are required to complete the following items (in order) before the Commercial Cannabis Business Permit (CCBP) is issued. The Community Development Director will formally issue the CCBP once it is confirmed that all of the required land use approvals have been obtained and compliance has been achieved with all conditions of approval (Oxnard City Code (OCC) Section 11-457).
Step 1 Obtain City of Oxnard Business Tax Certificate
Step 2 Complete and submit all of the required cannabis forms:
Step 3 Final Inspection Sign off / Certificate of Occupancy / CCBP issuance
Step 4 Required at the first quarterly meeting, after CCBP issuance:
We have created a Commercial Cannabis Business Permit Final Checklist to help identify the documents which are required to be executed and submitted to the City prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy, which will be issued simultaneously with the CCBP.
The City of Oxnard will accept the following source of funds for the one-time donation, quarterly payments, regulatory compliance fee and cannabis employee permit. The City’s preferred form of payment follows; all payments shall be made to “City of Oxnard”:
- Certified Check
- Cashier’s Check
- Money Order
- Cash; an appointment must be made for this form of payment – call (805)385-7824
- Personal/business checks, Wire Transfers – ARE NOT ACCEPTED
Details regarding each of the required steps is as follows:
City of Oxnard Business Tax Certificate. Prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy, a commercial cannabis business shall obtain a City of Oxnard business tax certificate (OCC Section 11-469). This Business Tax Certificate is to be issued by the Billing and Licensing Department. A copy of the Tax Certificate will be required to be submitted to the Planning Division. For contact information (email, phone number, and website information) Click Here.
Community Benefit Agreement Form (Local Equity and Non-Equity). This document identifies the required one- time payment amount (determined by the commercial cannabis operator type and set by the City. This document also includes the City’s liability and operational requirements.
One-Time Payment Form. This document includes details regarding the one-time payment amount (determined by the commercial cannabis operator type and set by the City. This form is to be transmitted with the one-time payment. Payment shall be made to the Community Development Department who will transmit the payment with the receipt to the Department of Billing & Licensing for processing. A copy of the one-time payment receipt will be required to be submitted to the Planning Division. For more information on where and how to submit this payment Click Here.
Retailer with Delivery Service Form. Prior to commencing operation, a retailer that provides cannabis delivery shall provide the following information to the City: a.) proof of ownership or valid lease of each delivery vehicle; and b.) proof of automobile insurance for all vehicles utilized to deliver cannabis on behalf of the business. For contact information (email, phone number, and website information) on how to submit this required information Click Here.
Owner Information Form (Local Equity and Non-Equity). This form requires information on business ownership at the time of issuance of certificate of occupancy and requests information on ownership percentages. Changes in ownership of a permittee business structure or a substantial change in the ownership of a permittee business entity (i.e., changes that result in a cumulative change of more than 51% of the original ownership) may not occur until the CCBP permit is issued and must be approved by the City Manager or his or her designee (OCC Section 11-468). The ownership information for for Local Equity applicants are available here:
- For Local Equity ownership Click Here
- For Non-Equity ownership Click Here
- For Local Equity Owners only (defined in accordance with Ord. 2994, Section 11-454, (NN)), proof of local residency will be required to be submitted with the Owner Information. Factors used to determine local residency shall include: “(As applicable) but are not be limited to the following: ownership or rental of dwelling unit within the city’s corporate boundaries that is the primary residence; California driver’s license with a residential address within the city’s corporate boundaries that is the primary residence; voter registration at a residential address within the city’s corporate boundaries that is the primary residence; residential address within the city’s corporate boundaries used for filing state and federal income tax returns that is the primary residence; and the natural person does not have a homestead exemption in any jurisdiction other than within the city’s corporate boundaries. Local Ownership is subject to ongoing verification under penalty of perjury”.
Issuance of Certificate of Occupancy (Final Inspection Sign Off). Departmental site inspection and verification that applicants have complied with all of the required conditions of approval will be required prior to issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy by the Building and Engineering Division (OCC Section 11-457). A copy of the Certificate of Occupancy and a copy of the Business License issued by the State of California Department of Cannabis Control Board permit will be required to be submitted to the Planning Division. To schedule an inspection Click Here.
Regulatory Compliance Fee. Every business issued a CCBP shall submit payment for the City’s annual regulatory compliance fee (established by resolution of the City Council) (OCC Section 11-457). The Planning Division will advise applicants when payment is due. During the first year of operation, this fee will be provided to the Planning Division and due at the first quarterly meeting, after CCBP issuance, with the Planning Division. For more information Click Here.
Employee Information Form. This form will be used to verify that all employees have an active Cannabis Employee Permit (OCC Section 11-455). This item will be required at the first quarterly meeting, after the Commercial Cannabis Business Permit is issued. The document will be filed with the Planning Division. For more information Click Here.
Cannabis Employee Permit (CEP) Application. Any person who is an employee or who otherwise works within a Commercial Cannabis Business must obtain a Cannabis Employee Permit from the City prior to performing any work at any Commercial Cannabis Business (OCC Section 11-455). The Commercial Cannabis Business must have an active Business Tax Certificate. The Cannabis Employee Permit will be issued by the Billing and Licensing Department. All employees are required to be licensed by the City by the first quarterly meeting, after the CCBP issuance. For more information Click Here.
- Once you have submitted the CEP Application to the Billing and Licensing Department (and paid the fee), you may then conduct the live scan/background check through a third party company by utilizing the following form Click Here. Results from the live scan/background check will automatically be sent to the City of Oxnard’s Police Department, who will then forward the approval or denial of the CEP(s) to the Billing and Licensing Department.
For more details on the CEP process, please see the links below.
- Cannabis Employee Permit Application Click Here
- Third Party Live Scan Background Check Requirements Click Here
- Commercial Cannabis Employee Permit Application Process Click here
- Live Scan Form – Cannabis Employee Permit Click Here
To schedule an appointment to submit these documents, please email Matthew.Simpkins@Oxnard.org
Mat can also be contacted at 805-385-8207.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com