Building Safety & Engineering Services
Building & Engineering is conveniently located in the Oxnard Service Center: 214 S. ‘C’ Street, Oxnard, CA 93030
Building & Engineering Services During COVID19:
The Building and Engineering Division is taking steps to continue to provide customer service to our clients while doing our best to keep staff and the public safe.
In light of the recent emergency declaration by the State of California regarding the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we are currently assessing our processes and procedures for answering inquiries, handling new project submittals and resubmittals, and providing other levels of customer service. If you have business to conduct with the City of Oxnard Building and Engineering division, please see the information below:
General Permitting Questions: We encourage the public with general permitting questions to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your inquiry will be triaged by a permit technician and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
New larger projects and resubmittals: If you have a new submittal of a tenant improvement project, new construction, ADU or residential addition, please email a completed permit application form (b100) to email@example.com so that we may facilitate submission by mail versus in person.
Smaller projects, new submittals: If you have a new submittal of a sign, block wall, residential plumbing or electrical repair that does not qualify for our online permit submittal, please complete a permit application (b100) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about submitting plans and documents via email.
Phone: (805) 385-7925 Fax: (805) 385-7854 Email: email@example.com
Building Inspection Services:
To schedule an inspection, have your permit number, contact person and contact phone number ready. To schedule an inspection online, click here.
Customers seeking permit issuance, new project submittals, and any other service requiring the assistance of a permit technician will be asked to return the next business day. Customers should arrive no later than 2:30 p.m. in order to be served by a permit technician before 4 pm.
Examples of services available after 4 pm:
- General questions
- Permit handouts & guides
- Pick up plan check corrections
- Scheduled appointments
- Re-submit ongoing plan checks
- Zone Clearance Review
Services that cannot be provided after 4 pm:
- First-time submittal of any new projects, including over the counter permits.
- Issuance of permits.
- Questions for Permit Technicians.
- Any other service requiring assistance by a permit technician.
Over-the-Counter Plan Check Services Hours:
NOTICES & INFORMATION:
Oxnard City Council Ordinance No.2968
An ordinance of the city council of the city of Oxnard repealing and reenacting articles II through XI, XV, and XVI of Chapter 14 of the Oxnard city code, pertaining to The California building code, California residential code, California green building standards code, international property maintenance code, uniform code for the Abatement of dangerous buildings, California historical building code, California electrical code, California existing buildings code, California mechanical code, California referenced standards code, California plumbing code, fire codes, Fire sprinklers.
The 2019 California Building Standards Code takes effect on January 1st, 2020
- Any new project submitted after 12:00 pm on December 31th, 2019 will be required to comply with the 2019 Codes. This includes the Building, Electrical, Fire, Mechanical, Plumbing, CalGreen, and Energy Codes.
- Projects submitted before 12:00 pm on December 31st, 2019, and/or projects under construction prior to January 1st, 2020, must not become inactive for more than 180 days or they will be required to update to the 2019 Codes.
- Housing tracts and other repeat building projects that are in construction must update all building permits to the 2020 Codes for any buildings whose permits have not been pulled by June 30, 2020.
For additional information about the 2019 California Building Standards Codes, visit the California Building Standards Commission Website: www.bsc.ca.gov/Codes.aspx