Fire Explorer Post 9244
If you are interested in applying to be an Oxnard Fire Explorer please read:
Due to nationwide restrictions regarding Covid-19, we will NOT be having Orientation, Test Day, or a Basic Academy until further notice. Since the situation is extremely dynamic and constantly changing, we WILL be accepting applications online the rest of the year. The department will review the applications and be in contact for when we have the opportunity to start the academy back up. See below for application directions.
Any further questions can be directed to Kevin Todd
Please download the application HERE.
Fill out, and send to this email.
Please wait for a confirmation. This may take up to 48 hours. If 48 hours have passed and you have not received a confirmation, then please resend another email. Thank you.
The Oxnard Fire Explorer post is the only fire explorer post in Ventura County. Oxnard Fire Explorer Post 9244 was founded in October 1994 and had 31 charter fire explorers start the first academy.
The first academy class graduated in July 1995 with 17 fire explorers being appointed to ride-a-long status. Each fire explorer is given a station assignment.
Fire Explorers have been instrumental in many ways both to the department and the community. In the short time that fire explorers have been in the city, we have gained recognition as a quality youth group from persons in city government, the community, and other fire departments.
A committee of sworn fire department personnel runs the Explorer Post.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision, a fire explorer participates in a basic fire training curriculum, assists firefighters with various support activities during emergencies, and provides direct assistance during fire prevention and public education activities. After completion of the Oxnard Fire Explorer Basic Academy explorers will do the following:
- Respond to alarms
- Load and roll hose
- Replace spent air bottles
- Assist with other fire ground duties that are deemed non-hazardous
- Assist firefighters with medical and rescue calls
- Maintain fire station and grounds
- Attends monthly meetings and drills
- Study fire related technical manuals
Requirements to Apply (During Recruitment in June)
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 21
- Live within Ventura County, Oxnard City is preferred
- Attending High School or Graduate
- Have a 2.0 GPA or greater by application deadline
- Must have a positive attitude and willingness to learn
Orientation – June 10, 2020
- Held at Fire Station 1, 491 South K Street
- Anybody interested in joining needs to show up at 1830 (6:30pm)
- Information regarding applications, the testing process, and the academy will be distributed.
- There will be physical agility events set up for practice so be sure to bring active clothes/footwear if needed.
- Please do not park inside the fire station. There is adequate street parking as well as two parking lots available to the north.
Test Day – June 28, 2020
- Held at Fire Station 1, 491 South K Street starting at 0900
- Wear active clothing for the physical agility portion and bring water to drink during breaks.
- Application – Submitted on test day in person
- Pass a Written Exam – information given on orientation
- Pass Physical Agility – practice opportunities on orientation
- Pass Oral Interview – changing rooms will be made available if you choose to bring nicer clothes for the interview.
23rd Basic Academy 7/20 – 7/31
- 80 hour Basic Fire Exploring Academy located at Station 1
- Must pass all written exams with a score of at least 80%
- Pass written final exam with at least 80%
- Academy is 2 consecutive weeks (mon-fri) with graduation on Saturday
- Once you pass you are an EXPLORER!
Contact Kevin Todd with any questions: