Fire Explorer Post 9244
The Oxnard Fire Explorer post is the only fire explorer post in Ventura County. Oxnard Fire Explorer Post 9244 was founded in October 1994 and had 31 charter fire explorers start the first academy.
The first academy class graduated in July 1995 with 17 fire explorers being appointed to ride-a-long status. Each fire explorer is given a station assignment.
Fire Explorers have been instrumental in many ways both to the department and the community. In the short time that fire explorers have been in the city, we have gained recognition as a quality youth group from persons in city government, the community, and other fire departments.
A committee of sworn fire department personnel runs the Explorer Post.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision, a fire explorer participates in a basic fire training curriculum, assists firefighters with various support activities during emergencies, and provides direct assistance during fire prevention and public education activities. After completion of the Oxnard Fire Explorer Basic Academy explorers will do the following:
- Respond to alarms
- Load and roll hose
- Replace spent air bottles
- Assist with other fire ground duties that are deemed non-hazardous
- Assist firefighters with medical and rescue calls
- Maintain fire station and grounds
- Attends monthly meetings and drills
- Study fire related technical manuals
Requirements to Apply
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 21
- Live within Ventura County, Oxnard City is preferred
- Attending High School or Graduate
- Have a 2.0 GPA or greater by application deadline
- Must have a positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Please contact Firefighter Todd
- To apply to be and Oxnard Fire Explorer, fill out the Explorer application below and drop it of at:
- Any Oxnard Fire Station
- Oxnard Fire Department Admin Office (360 W. 2nd St.)
- Email your application to Firefigher Todd at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Kevin Todd with any questions: