2021-2029 HOUSING ELEMENT UPDATE
The Southern California Region that includes Ventura County is currently in the “6th Cycle” Housing Element planning period which covers the eight-years from October 15, 2021 to October 15, 2029. By State Law, the City of Oxnard must update the current 2013-2021 Mid-Cycle Housing Element by October 15, 2021.
This web-page serves as the public information and participation “portal” to the 2021-2029 Housing Element update process. Welcome Aboard!
If you have any questions, please contact the Planning Division at (805) 385-7878.
Environmental Document for Housing Element Update:
The Final Housing Element is composed of: the response to comments, comment letters, Draft IS/MND, and Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program.
The City of Oxnard has prepared an Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration (IS/MND) pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and is circulating for public comment a Mitigated Negative Declaration (No. 2021-01) for the proposed City of Oxnard 2021 – 2029 Housing Element Update. You can access the full Final IS/MND by clicking here.
Project Name and Location:
The project area is the entire City of Oxnard in Ventura County, California.
General Plan Amendment to amend the 2030 General Plan to replace the current Chapter 8 (Housing Element) with the 2021-2029 Housing Element. The Housing Element is a State-mandated policy document within the Oxnard General Plan that provides direction for the implementation of various programs to meet existing and projected future housing needs for all income levels. The Housing Element provides policies, programs, and actions that accommodate growth, produce opportunities for the development of new housing units, preserve existing housing stock, and assist the existing population. Additional actions include: an update to the City’s General Plan Land Use Element by making text changes to this element. Also included will be associated General Plan Land Use map changes. Both General Plan Land Use text and map amendments are to ensure consistency with the 2021-2029 Housing Element. The City will also be updating Chapter 16 of the Oxnard City Code (OCC) to implement the Housing Element and by initiating Zoning Map amendments to ensure consistency between the Final Housing Element, the Land Use Element, and the OCC.
What is the Housing Element?
The Housing Element is a State-mandated policy document within the Oxnard General Plan that provides direction for the implementation of various programs to meet existing and projected future housing needs for all income levels. The Housing Element provides policies, programs, and actions that accommodate growth, produce opportunity for the development of new housing units, preserve existing housing stock, and assist the existing population.
To comply with State law, the City’s Housing Element must be updated to ensure the city’s policies and programs can accommodate estimated housing growth needs identified in the Southern California Association of Government’s Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) allocation for the 2021-2029 planning period. Any future changes to Housing Element policy will require environmental review pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The 6th Cycle Housing Element and associated environmental document(s) will be reviewed for compliance with state law by the California State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) and adopted by the City Council no later than October 15, 2021.
PUBLIC REVIEW AND COMMENT PERIODS
HOUSING ELEMENT SITES MAP REVIEW AND COMMENTS
Online public site review September 21, 2020 to October 30, 2020
In Fall 2020 the City compiled a preliminary list of sites that may be suitable for addressing the City’s RHNA numbers in the Housing Element. The sites were included on an online mapping tool that was made available to the public for their input from September 21 through October 30, 2020. Twenty-one comments were received, and input was taken into consideration when preparing the list of sites in the Draft Housing Element.
The City held two community workshops on the City’s Draft Housing Element on October 22, 2020 and March 24, 2021. Video of the presentations from these public workshops can be secured here:
October 22, 2020 meeting info:
March 24, 2021 meeting info:
REGIONAL HOUSING NEEDS ASSESSMENT (RHNA)
The Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) is mandated by State Housing Law as part of the periodic process of updating local housing elements of the General Plan. The RHNA quantifies the need for housing within each jurisdiction during specified planning periods. SCAG is in the process of developing the 6th cycle RHNA allocation plan which will cover the planning period October 2021 through October 2029.
- RHNA Draft Allocations (3/4/21) (pdf)
- RHNA Draft Allocation Calculator (Updated 9/3/2020) (xlsx)
- SCAG 6th Cycle RHNA Appeals Timeline (Updated 10/28/2020) (pdf)
HOUSING ELEMENT SCHEDULE AND TEAM
The 2021-2029 Housing Element Update team in composed of:
- Ashley Golden, Assistant City Manager
- Vyto Adomaitis, Community Development Director
- Kathleen Mallory, Planning and Sustainability Manager
- Emilio Ramirez, Director, Housing Department
- Placeworks, Inc.
- Rincon Consultants, Inc.
The tentative schedule is:
- Early May submit Draft Housing Element to State of California, Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
- August – Virtual community meeting on Final Housing Element
- August – Planning Commission public hearing to consider Final Housing Element
- September – City Council public hearing to consider Final Housing Element
- October – City submits adopted Housing Element to HCD for certification and final review and approval
BACKGROUND DOCUMENTS, PRESENTATIONS, AND STAFF REPORTS
- 2013-2021 Mid-Cycle Housing Element
- 2019 Annual Progress Report (APR)
- 2021-2029 Draft Housing Element (updated May 14, 2021)
- 2020 Annual Progress Report (APR)
- PREVIOUS PUBLIC MEETINGS
- August 12, 2020 House Farm Workers PPT (Spanish PPT)
- September 8, 2020 Housing and Economic Development Committee public meeting on the Draft Housing Element
- September 16, 2020 Ventura County Coastal Association of REALTORS
- October 6, 2020 City Council public meeting on new programs in the Draft Housing Element
- October 22, 2020 Public Workshop on proposed sites
- November 16, 2020 meeting with housing advocates on lower income housing sites
- March 9, 2021 Community Services, Pubic Safety, Housing & Development Committee public meeting on the Draft Housing Element
- March 24, 2021 Public Workshop on the Draft Housing Element
- April 1, 2021 Planning Commission public meeting on the Draft Housing Element
- April 13, 2021 Community Services, Public Safety, Housing & Development Committee meeting on the Draft Housing Element
- April 29, 2021 City Council public meeting on Draft Housing Element
ENVIRONMENTAL REVIEW (CEQA)
CEQA review will not occur until early in 2021 after the Draft 2021-2029 Housing Element is completed.
LINKS TO RELATED WEBSITES