Coronavirus Labor & Workforce Resources
The City of Oxnard is working to support our businesses and workers during this emergency. Utilize the resources listed below for your needs.
- The Act provides an additional $600 increase over an applicant’s approved weekly benefit through July 31, 2020
- Unemployment benefits have been extended for a period of 39 weeks
- If you are self-employed, an independent contractor, or gig worker, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits; read more here.
- Apply online here. Apply online En español here.
Due to current events, the Employment Development Department is experiencing a large increase in claims filed and is extending staff resources to keep up with the demand. For faster service, use UI Online to file your claim, certify for benefits, and get payment information.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 you may qualify for Paid Family Leave; more here.
- If you’re unable to work due to medical quarantine or illness, you may qualify for Disability Insurance here.
- If a worker or a family member is sick or for preventative care when civil authorities recommend quarantine, workers may use accrued paid sick leave in accordance with the law.
- If workers are unable to do their usual job because they were exposed to and contracted coronavirus during the regular course of their work, they may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits.
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) to Assist Self-Employed, Independent Contractors and Gig Workers
- Under PUA, individuals can receive weekly unemployment assistance that may be equivalent to what individuals get under UI
- PUA individuals qualify for the additional $600 per week for the time period of March 29 – July 31
- PUA is retroactive, paying individuals who suffered loss of income due to COVID19 from February 2 – December 31
- Payment turnaround time of 24-28 hours after a completed and successful application