- Can I check out books and DVDs?
- Where can I pick up my held items?
- How does Curbside Pickup work?
- Who can use Curbside Pickup?
- Can I borrow items through Curbside Pickup if I don’t have a vehicle?
- How do I place a hold on an item?
- How do I know when my held library materials are ready to be picked up?
- What safety measures can I expect when I visit the Library for Curbside Pickup?
- How does Library Staff know I am waiting at the Curb to pick up my held items?
- Who can pick up my items?
- How long can I keep checked out materials?
- What if I no longer want to check out the items I have on hold?
- How do I renew items?
- Where do I return items?
- I returned my items, but my account says they are not checked back in yet.
- What if there are “blocks” on my Library card account preventing me from placing a hold?
- Where can I find up-to-date, local and accurate information about COVID-19 or Coronavirus?
Can I check out books and DVDs?
While Oxnard Public Library is closed we are currently offering Curbside Pickup of Library Materials that are placed on hold by our patrons. Curbside Pickup will be available until the Library reopens to the public, and there is no fee for this service. You will have 7 days to pick up your item(s) once you receive notice that they are ready. After 7 days, your item(s) will be placed back on the shelves.
Where can I pick up my held items?
The Curbside Pickup location is the rear parking lot entrance off Second Street behind the Main Library which is at 251 S A Street, Oxnard CA 93030. Patrons of Oxnard Public Library branches are also welcome to pick up their holds at the Main Library. At this time, no pickup services are available at South Oxnard Branch and Colonia Branch Libraries.
How does Curbside Pickup work?
- Reserve your items online or over the phone.
- Once your items become available you will be notified. You may then pick them up only during Curbside hours of Mondays through Thursdays and Saturdays between 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. You will need to make an appointment with our staff to pick up your items in a time slot during these hours. You will have 7 days to pick up your item(s). After 7 days, your item(s) will be placed back on the shelves.
- When arriving, follow the posted signs to find the designated stopped area.
- STAY IN YOUR CAR and one of our staff members will approach your window from a safe distance to ask you for your library barcode number or ID.
- When they return with your items, please open the back of your vehicle so the staff member may safely place your items inside.
Who can use Curbside Pickup?
Curbside Pickup is available for current physical library card holders whose account is in good standing.
Can I borrow items through Curbside Pickup if I don’t have a vehicle?
The health and safety of patrons and staff are priorities and therefore, although walkup-pickup service is not currently available, it is one aspect of future developments that are being carefully explored. Please see the website and social media for information as more services are offered and restored.
How do I place a hold on an item?
Please visit the website at https://www.oxnard.org/library/ to access your account. Enter your library card barcode number and PIN (the last 4 digits of your phone number). Search for items you wish to borrow and check availability. Then click on “Hold”. If you would like further assistance on placing a hold, call (805) 385-7532 and Library staff will be happy to assist you. If you call outside Library hours please leave a message and we will return your call. Also, if you would like guidance on what to read next based on your own interests before placing a hold, please call the Librarians at (805) 385-7532 for Readers Advisory service.
How do I know when my held library materials are ready to be picked up?
Holds will be ready for pick up approximately 48 hours after you have placed a hold. You will receive a phone call at the number we have on file inviting you to visit the library at a specified window of time. Please make sure you let staff know if your phone number has changed.
What safety measures can I expect when I visit the Library for Curbside Pickup?
Thank you for asking the question. All returned materials are kept out of Circulation for a minimum of 72 hours. When you visit the Library for Curbside Pickup a Library staff member will be wearing gloves and a mask, maintaining 6ft social distancing. They will place your Holds in the trunk or if necessary, the rear seat of your car.
How does Library Staff know I am waiting at the Curb to pick up my Held items?
Staff will come to the curb with your items. Please leave your window up and show them your Library Card barcode or ID. Then pop the trunk, and staff will place your borrowed items into your car. Please return items by the due date on your receipt to avoid fees.
Who can pick up my items?
Anyone may pick up your items, but they must present your library card or ID with a DOB in order to pick up your items. Staff will not release items to those without a library card number or valid photo ID for the account on which the Hold was placed.
How long can I keep checked out materials?
- There is no change to the length of time patrons may borrow materials.
- DVDs: 7 days
- 14 Day New items and Magazines: 14 days
- All Other Materials: 4 weeks
What if I no longer want to check out the items I have on hold?
Please call (805) 385-7507 and speak to Library Staff, or leave a message with your name and Library Card number, and we will return your call as soon as possible.
How do I renew items?
You may renew your items online or over the phone. To renew online, login to your account. You may renew most items if no one else has requested them, and if the renewal limit of one has not been reached. DVDs may not be renewed.
Where do I return items?
You may return items via the walk-up drop boxes at the front and rear of the Main Library as well as the drop boxes at the South Oxnard and Colonia Branch Libraries. They have 24 hour access. All items are placed in quarantine for 72 hours before being placed back on shelves. Please allow 72 hours before your account will show your items as returned.
I returned my items, but my account says they are not checked back in yet.
In order to ensure the safety of our staff and customers, we are placing all returned items into quarantine for 72 hours before checking those items in. Your items should be marked returned shortly after that time period. Fees are not charged during this quarantine period.
What if there are “blocks” on my Library card account preventing me from placing a Hold?
Please call (805) 385-7507 and speak to Library Staff or leave a message with your name and Library Card number, and we will return your call.
Where can I find up-to-date, local and accurate information about COVID-19 or Coronavirus?
- Please visit: http://www.vchca.org/agency-divisions/public-health
- Or call (805) 385-7532 and speak to a Librarian about other resources that may be available, or leave a message with your name and call back number and we will return your call.
last updated: June 22, 2020