Community invited to celebrate Oxnard’s diversity at free Multicultural Festival Oct. 1, 2016
OXNARD, Calif.–Celebrate Oxnard’s cultural diversity at the 21st annual Multicultural Festival from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016, at Plaza Park, 500 S. C. St. Admission is free.
Free parking is available in the structure at 324 S. B St. Please be aware that B Street will be closed between Fourth and Fifth streets from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. the day of the event. North Fifth Street will also be closed 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
The Multicultural Festival features a variety of fun, educational activities, entertainment and exhibits for all ages.
- Enjoy live performances by Buddhist taiko group Togen Daiko, NEMA belly dance, hula group Ka Hale Hula O Pilialohaokalani O Hilo, Ventura County Capoeira, hip hop act Port Hueneme Stars Dance Group and more!
- Stop by the international booths to have your festival passport stamped and learn about the countries represented in the Oxnard community, including Egypt, Germany, India, Kenya, Mexico and the Philippines. Attendees who submit a fully stamped passport will receive a prize and be entered into the hourly raffle.
- Kids can get henna tattoos ($3 and up) and free colorful face painting designs, enjoy adrenaline-pumping fun in the jolly jumpers, participate in show-and-tell activities with Luzonica, Birds of the World and more!
- Classic car lovers can browse the cars on display and admire their fine designs.
- Stop by the food booths to indulge in for-sale cuisine and treats, including Japanese, Korean, and Hawaiian delights by Rice Balls of Fire, gourmet Mediterranean dishes by the Middle Feast, ice cream by Dippin’ Dots, candy by Dulces Mexicanos and more!
The 2016 festival is sponsored by Gold Coast Health Plan; Hunt Ortmann Palffy Nieves Darling & Mah, Inc.; Kane, Ballmer & Berkman; National University and Unify. Oxnard Citywatch Television, www.oxnard.org/oxnard-citywatch-television, is this year’s media sponsor.
The Multicultural Festival, www.oxnard.org/multicultural-festival-2016, was introduced to the community in 1995 by the Oxnard Community Relations Commission (CRC), a citizen advisory group whose mission is to promote understanding and respect among all racial, religious and nationality groups in the City and to discourage and prevent discriminatory practices. The festival is organized by the CRC, City of Oxnard staff and volunteers.
The City of Oxnard is a full-service general law city incorporated in 1903. Oxnard is the largest and most populous city in the County of Ventura, serving 200,000 culturally diverse residents. Read more about the City of Oxnard at www.cityofoxnard.org. Follow us on social media at www.twitter.com/CityofOxnard (@CityofOxnard), www.facebook.com/CityofOxnard and www.vimeo.com/cityofoxnard.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 21, 2016 #063-16
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Delana G. Gbenekama, Public Relations and Community Affairs Manager
(805) 385-7593, firstname.lastname@example.org
21st Annual Mutlicultural Festival
Every year, the Multicultural Festival (MCF) is presented by the City of Oxnard’s Community Relations Commission (CRC). The Commission consists of seven members appointed to identify and advise the City Council on problems of discrimination in the community and to promote better human relations among all city residents. The festival is held annually on the first Saturday of October. MCF celebrates the rich cultural diversity of its residents and the city’s history. People of every culture come together to learn and discover their shared values in an atmosphere that honors all. The festival offers a variety of performing groups, live music, food vendors, exhibitors, demonstrations, and hands on activities for the entire family. Admission is always free.
The City of Oxnard Multicultural Festival is now accepting applications for 2016. Applications can be downloaded below in the following categories: entertainment, food vendors, non-food vendors and international booths.
Sponsorship packets are also availble for businesses, groups and organizations looking to support the event though its many levels of participation.
Application deadlines for each category are as follows:
Entertainment – Deadline August 31, 2016.
Food Vendor – Deadline August 25, 2016. No refunds after August 31, 2016.
Non-Food Vendor – Deadline August 19, 2016. No refunds after September 8, 2016.
International Booths – September 8, 2016.
Sponsorship Packages – Deadline August 5, 2016 business/company logo due for optimal public exposure. Advertisements for festival program must be received by September 2, 2016.