Short Term Rentals (STR) in the City of Oxnard
Do I Need to Apply for a Short-Term Rental (STR) Permit?
The City of Oxnard’s Short-Term Rental (STR) regulations (Ordinance Nos. 2969 and 2970), became effective citywide on December 17, 2020, requires property owners to obtain a permit if they wish to operate a Short-Term Rental in Oxnard.
It is illegal to operate an STR without a permit.
There are a limited number of permits available in the coastal area of the City. In particular, the properties in the Residential Beach Front (R-BF) zone only allows for 10% of the residential homes in the R-BF zone to have a STR, and those permits were already issued for Grandfathered STR properties.
New STR properties must be at least 100 feet away from other STR properties located in the R-BF zone and 200 feet from STR properties located in any other zone. The City will not be able to issue a STR permit for properties which do not comply with the separation requirements. Contact City staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if your property complies with separation requirements from properties with issued STR permits.
Is the proposed property in the City of Oxnard?
To view the jurisdiction and zoning of a property, use this map lookup tool
For locations outside Oxnard City limits including Silver Strand Beach and Hollywood beach, please check the County of Ventura website for information.
When Does the Application Period Open?
The STR application window will open on January 14, 2022 at 10:00 AM. The application window closures are different for the Coastal Zone and Inland Zone.
Coastal Zone: The STR application window will close on February 14, 2022 at 5:00 PM. If you would like to be notified of future Coastal Zone application windows, send an email requesting to be placed on the “Short Term Rental Interested Parties List” to email@example.com
Inland Zone: The STR application window for the Inland Zone will remain continuously open. (The City reserves the right to close the application window for the Inland Zone at a future date.)
- Review the entire “STR Permit Application Procedures & Guidelines” document, including the “STR Zoning Consistency” table and the “STR Safety Inspection Form,” and then prepare documents which will be needed before the application window opens.
Review their STR application in its entirety to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
What Forms Do I Need to Fill Out?
New Short-Term Rental applicants must submit the following 6 (six) documents as part of their permit application:
- A Site Plan/Floor Plan
- Nuisance Response Plan
- Short Term Rental Affidavit Form
- Proof of Homeowner’s Exemption
- Multiple Property Owner Documentation (if more than one person or entity owns the property, be prepared to upload documentation which specifies which individuals own the property)
- Land Use Application Form
All STR applications will be required to submit a payment of $2,614.25 (covers the first three bedrooms, but an additional $20 fee is to be charged for additional room). This fee covers the registration fee (Phase 1 & 2), mailing fee and Business License fees. If the property does not qualify for a STR based on the separation requirements, the application fee would be fully refunded.
Where do I Submit My Application and Fee Payment?
Through the City of Oxnard’s STR Permit Registration and Tax Collection online portal: Available on January 14, 2022, at 10:00AM
Are There Additional Fees?
If a permit application is approved, the property owner must pay the following fees to secure the permit:
- The Business License Fee included in the initial fee covers the first three bedrooms, but an additional $20 fee is to be charged for additional room)
- Annual Renewal / Compliance fee $810.00 (currently under review)
Who Can I Contact Regarding Short-Term Rental Permits and Applications?
For Short-Term Rental Questions:
How Can I File a Short-Term Rental Complaint?
- Hotline: Call (805) 272-7988
- Website: Visit https://secure.hostcompliance.com/complaints/type to submit photos, videos and other documents when filing a complaint.