PDF available here: English | Spanish
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 22, 2022
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Oxnard Fire Department
(805) 385-7722 | Oxnard_fire@oxnard.org
Join the Oxnard Fire Department at Upcoming Fire Prevention Week 2022 Events
OXNARD, Calif. – The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) created Fire Prevention Week to promote fire safety at home and in the workplace. This year the Oxnard Fire Department joins the association in celebration of Fire Prevention Week’s 100th anniversary and its “Fire won’t wait, plan your escape” campaign with a series of community events throughout Oxnard.
According to the NFPA, you may have two minutes or less to safely leave a home once your smoke alarm goes off. Having a fire evacuation plan will help to keep you and your family safe.
“It’s important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape. Everyone needs to be prepared in advance, so that they know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds. Given that each home is different, every home fire escape plan will also be different,” said Stephen McNaughten, Oxnard Fire Marshal. “Have a plan for everyone in the home. Children, older adults, and people with disabilities may need assistance to wake up and get out. Make sure that you plan to help them.”
Other fire escape planning tips from the Oxnard Fire Department include:
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Determine an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Be sure to practice at least once during the day and at night.
Throughout October, the Oxnard Fire Department staff will be sharing Fire Prevention Week information at community events. Additionally, the Fire Department will continue to offer free smoke detectors and installation to eligible households through early 2023.
Oxnard Fire Department | Fire Prevention Week Events
- Oct. 1, 2022: Multicultural Festival, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Plaza Park (500 S C St., Oxnard)
- Oct. 5, 2022: INCO Meeting, 7 p.m.
Oxnard Council Chambers (305 West 3rd St., Oxnard)
- Oct. 9, 2022: Channel Islands Harbor Sunday Farmers Market 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Parking lot adjacent to Marine Emporium Landing (3350 S. Harbor Blvd., Oxnard)
Oct. 13, 2022: Downtown Oxnard Certified Farmers’ Market
5th & B Streets at Plaza Park, Oxnard 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Neighborhood Council Meetings
Date Time Neighborhood Location
9/22/22 7:00 PM Sierra Linda Sierra Linda School
9/27/22 6:30 PM East Village Rio Rosales Elementary
9/29/22 7:00 PM Carriage Square Curren School
9/29/22 6:30 PM Bryce Canyon North & Bryce Canyon South
E.O. Green Jr. High
10/6/22 6:30 PM Bartolo Square South Kamala Elementary
10/7/22 6:00 PM Tierra Vista Tierra Vista School
10/8/22 11:00 AM Hobson Park East Lion’s Park
10/12/22 7:00 PM Marina West Marina West School
10/12/22 7:00 PM Rose Park Rose Avenue School
10/13/22 6:00 PM Cabrillo Emilie Ritchen School
10/19/22 6:00 PM Cal Gisler Harrington School
10/19/22 6:00 PM Wagon Wheel Wagon Wheel Park
10/20/22 6:00 PM Southbank Rio del Norte School
10/26/22 6:00 PM Southwinds Haycox Elementary
10/26/22 6:00 PM Riverpark Rio Vista Middle School
10/27/22 6:00 PM Hobson Park East & Hobson Park West
Performing Arts Center
10/29/22 10:00 AM Pleasant Valley Estates Pleasant Valley Park
To find out more about Fire Prevention Week programs and activities in Oxnard, please contact the Oxnard Fire Department at Oxnard_fire@oxnard.org or (805) 385-7722. For general fire prevention materials, please visit fpw.org.