The Small Business Program
The City of Oxnard is committed to working closely with developers, homeowners, and contractors to ensure the success of every project. We understand that the plan check/permitting process can be confusing and the Small Business Program is set up to help simplify the plan check process.
Building permits will be required in order to construct a new, or modify an existing building within the City of Oxnard. To obtain a Building Permit, the proposed project must be submitted through the City’s Plan Check Process. During plan check, several City departments will review the project for compliance with City and State regulations, as well as any applicable city codes.
The program is based on a 45-minute plan check review meeting. During this meeting, a team of City Engineers, Planners, and Plan Checkers will meet with you and your design team to discuss and review the proposed project.
Meetings are held every Thursday from 8-11 am. Plan check payment and plans must be submitted to a Permit Technician by Tuesday at noon, the week of the scheduled meeting; if plans are not submitted the meeting is subject to cancellation. Minimum 5 full sets of plans are required for the first submittal. A second submittal will depend on reviewing departments. Once you have begun the Small Business Program, you will be allowed to resubmit the plans through the program.
Due to the time constraints, the following are types of projects NOT allowed in Small Business Program:
- Code Compliance
- Change of Occupancy
- New Restaurants or significant restaurant modification
- Small projects that involve 4 or fewer departments
- Projects larger than 3,000 square feet (Anything over 3,000 sq. ft will exceed the title 24 requirements – heating, lighting, building U value. This will exceed the time frame allowed in small business).
- Projects including structural calculation in excess of 5 sheets
- Projects involving additions to commercial/industrial buildings
- Rack storage exceeding 12” high
- Fire Sprinkler Plans
Information only or pre-submittal meetings are available for projects that qualify.
- $637.22 for 4 department review
- $794.72 with 5 department review (CUPA review)
This amount can be subtracted from the plan check fee when plans are submitted.
- Download and complete the form: Small Business Data Sheet
2. Return completed form to Development Services, attention: Lizette or e-mail completed Data Sheet to SmallBusiness@Oxnard.org
To request more information on the Small Business Program:
Please note a City Business License is required for anyone doing work in the City of Oxnard.
This requirement applies to all businesses including:
|• Permit Runners||• Engineers||• Designers||• 3rd Party Agents|
|• Expeditors||• Architects||• Surveyors|
|• Draftsmen||• Developers||• Contractors|