An encroachment permit is necessary if you will be using any part of a public right-of-way including roadways, sidewalks, alleys, etc. This permit is for any construction work or maintenance, storing materials or containers, detouring traffic or parking equipment in the street .
Encroachment permits are not building permits. Please check the Building & Engineering home page separately for building permit information.
A complete packet for all encorachment applications.
Standard plates, and design criteria are accessible via the following links:
How to apply for an Encroachment Permit
- Send an encroachment permit application, approved traffic documentation, and site plan to encroachmentpermits@Oxnard.org.
How to apply for a well / borehole permit
- Send an encroachment permit application to encroachmentpermits@Oxnard.org. Please refer to the well / borehole checklist for any additional requirements.
How to apply for a fireflow permit
- Send an encroachment permit application and site plan to encroachmentpermits@Oxnard.org. Please indicate which hydrants will be used for your test. Specify which hydrant or hydrants will be flowed and which will be static. Please send any requests for atlas sheets to encroachmentpermits@Oxnard.org.
How to apply for a transportation / wide load permit
- Please send a transportation / wide load permit application to encroachmentpermits@Oxnard.org. A staff member will respond by sending a docusign message with a credit card authorization form, the invoice and the approved permit. Single trips $15.75. Annuals $78.75.
Applications may also be submitted in person at 214 S C St. during open counter hours:
Counter Hours: 8 AM-12 PM.
Building & Engineering Location
214 S. ‘C’ Street, Oxnard, CA 93030
Additional Information for Applicants
If your permit requires traffic control, you will need to submit a traffic control checklist or site specific traffic control plan to tcp.Oxnard@gmail.com. If you have any questions regarding traffic review please contact traffic staff at tcp.Oxnard@gmail.com. Traffic approval is required prior to permit issuance.
The City requires specific language and coverage amounts for work in the public right of way. Review our insurance requirements here. If your insurance has not been vetted in the last year, please submit your certificate of insurance to Amelia.Pacheco@Oxnard.org and Carmen.RamirezHR@Oxnard.org for review. Your insurance must be reviewed and approved prior to permit issuance.
If you do not have a business license or it is expired, please contact business licensing at email@example.com / (805) 385-7817 regarding current business licensing requirements.
The permittee will need a valid city business license at the time of permit issuance.
A letter of authorization may be required at the time of permit issuance. This typically occurs when a consultant is pulling a permit for a contractor. The letter should be on company letterhead and must come from the permittee. It should list the person or persons authorized to sign for the permit. If you have any questions about this requirement please send them to staff at encroachmentpermits@Oxnard.org.
Notes about plans
- Any borepits, potholes, or trenching need to be called out on the site plan with dimensions.
- If you will be excavating, please include existing utilities on plans. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for atlas sheets.
- Clarify areas where aerials will be placed.
- Boring is the preferred method if you need to cross a street.
- Include a note on the plans that ingress and egress will be maintained at all times for areas affected by your work.
- Include any relevant standard plates with your plans.
- Plans should be submitted as single line drawings whenever possible.
- Include a north arrow and street names on your plans.