OXNARD PUBLIC LIBRARY
The mission of the Oxnard Public Library is to enrich the lives of our diverse community by providing free and equal access to the resources, services, and programs that encourage life-long learning and lead to future success.
- Offer open access to all library resources
- Provide quality customer service
- Lead the way to life-long learning
The City of Oxnard, located on the beautiful California coastline midway between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, is one of the fastest growing cities in Southern California. The City features uncrowded beaches, major commercial and industrial centers, and prime agricultural land with agriculture being a vital and dynamic component.
As with many California communities, Oxnard’s population of 200,004 is diverse. The California Department of Finance estimates the following breakdown as of January 2010: Hispanic 70%, Caucasian 14%, Asian 8%, African-American 4%, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander 3%, and American Indian 1%.
In 1907, the Oxnard Public Library opened its doors on what is now the corner of C and Fourth Streets in a building funded by the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. In 1909, the library opened deposit stations, which later became branches, in the areas of Port Hueneme, Moorpark, Saticoy, Camarillo, Somis, and Santa Susana. The Ventura County Board of Supervisors dissolved this arrangement in 1915 with the establishment of the Ventura County Library System which provided service to the aforementioned cities. The City of Oxnard leaders at that time decided to maintain the Oxnard Public Library as a city library, separate from the County Library System.
Oxnard Public Library circa 1907
Several building expansions occurred over the years. Bookmobile service was introduced in 1956 and served as the library’s first extension. The Main Library moved to its second location on the corner of C and Second Streets in 1963 and to its current 72,000 square-foot location at 251 South A Street in 1992. The new building provided space for additional books and audio-visual materials, meeting rooms, an amphitheater, and study rooms. During the year 2000, the library added public computers, a computer lab, and an automated book return system.
Oxnard Public Library 2004